Shiitake mushrooms are full of taste and texture. Shiitake mushrooms are one of the most popular edible mushrooms found in East Asia. They are delicious to eat with their meaty texture and earthy flavor. With its delicious taste, this edible fungi is very easy to make.
Many shiitake mushroom recipes are very easy to make and are a perfect delight to eat. You can prepare shiitake mushrooms in many ways, and all these shiitake mushroom recipes are equally delicious to eat!
7 Beginner-Friendly Shiitake Mushroom Recipes
The shiitake mushrooms can be found in your nearby grocery stores and can be easily recognized by their brown color and hard stems.
1. Sautéed Shiitake Mushrooms
The sauteed shiitake mushrooms include butter or sesame oil, soy sauce, lime juice, hot sauce, and a hint of toasted sesame oil.
- The first step is to slice the shiitake mushrooms and rinse them thoroughly. Don’t forget to remove the stems, as they are very hard.
- Once you clean the sliced shiitake mushrooms, you have to cook shiitake mushrooms in a skillet using the sesame oil or butter by stirring occasionally, plus a small amount of kosher salt.
- Once their texture is somewhat brownish, you can add soy sauce, lime juice, Sriracha, and a hint of toasted sesame oil.
- Cook it for another 2 minutes and serve immediately.
Sautéed shiitake mushrooms can be used as a side dish for seafood or chicken or as a main dish with brown rice or basmati rice.
2. Baked Shiitake Mushroom
This is one of the most popular shiitake mushroom recipes. The ingredients used to make baked shiitake mushrooms are extra virgin olive oil, white wine or white wine vinegar, pepper, salt, garlic powder, fresh thyme leaves or dried thyme, chopped parsley, and fresh shiitake mushrooms.
- To prepare this shiitake mushroom recipe, add olive oil, spices, and white wine vinegar to the shiitake mushrooms.
- The next step is to bake the shiitake mushrooms.
- To bake, scatter the shiitake mushrooms on the baking sheet and put them in the oven.
- Almost after 30 minutes, your dish is ready to serve.
3. Shiitake Mushrooms Stir Fry and Green Bean
This is one of the easiest shiitake mushroom recipes. The ingredients required for this recipe are shiitake mushrooms, green beans, olive oil, onions, garlic cloves, fresh ginger, and oyster sauce.
- The first step for this shiitake mushrooms recipe is to cook green beans.
- Boil 1 cup water in the pan and add the green beans.
- Cover the lid and keep it for 4-5 minutes. After that, drain the beans.
- The next step is to heat the pan and pour 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Heat the oil and add onions and shiitake mushroom to it.
- Let it cook for a few minutes till the onions turn brown.
- After that, add ginger, garlic, and green beans and stir-fry it. Take care not to burn.
- The next step is to stir it in oyster sauce.
- You can also add some water in case it sticks to the pan.
- Let it cook for a minute. Your dish is ready to eat.
4. Creamy Shiitake Mushroom Soup
This is one of the most delicious shiitake mushroom recipes. The ingredients required to make shiitake mushroom soup are mushrooms, onion, carrots, and around a half cup of half and half.
- The first step is to chop the vegetables, including shiitake mushrooms.
- Cook shiitake mushrooms with the other veggies on medium heat.
- After that, pour two and a half cups of water into the pan.
- The next step is to puree the cooked vegetables.
- Put them in the food processor and puree the vegetables. The paste you get will be thick and colorful. After that, you need to add half and half.
- If you want, add the finely chopped green onion to the soup, but this is optional. The Shiitake mushroom soup is ready to serve.
5. Shiitake Mushroom Pizza
This is the most unique of all shiitake mushroom recipes. The outcome will be creamy white pizza topped with delicious shiitake mushrooms.
- The ingredients to make this recipe are roasted garlic, fresh basil leaves, shiitake mushrooms, extra virgin olive oil, and mozzarella cheese (for toppings).
- You can make the pizza dough by mixing flour, yeast, sugar, sea salt, lukewarm water, and extra virgin olive oil in a large bowl and blending them.
- You have to spread the dough and put it in the fridge for some time.
- Now, take the dough and make it round; sprinkle garlic, shiitake mushrooms, fresh basil, oil, and cheese.
- The final step is to put the dough with toppings in the oven.
- The key is to saute the shiitake mushrooms with lemon juice, garlic, and black pepper.
6. Shiitake Mushroom Pasta
This will be your favorite recipe out of all the shiitake mushroom recipes, and the prep time is around 30 minutes. The ingredients used to make this recipe are pasta, garlic, extra virgin olive oil, fresh or dried shiitake mushrooms, fresh parsley, creme fraiche, lemon zest, and Parmigiano Reggiano (optional).
- If you use dried shiitake mushrooms, place them in warm water for about 30 minutes.
- Begin with boiling water in a large bowl and add a small amount of salt.
- Pour the pasta into the bowl and let it cook. The cooking time is around 8-10 minutes. Once it is cooked, drain it and place it aside.
- The next step is to heat the olive oil in the pan and sautée shiitake mushrooms and garlic.
- Add sea salt and black pepper to it. Now, add the pasta to it and stir thoroughly.
- Put the cooked pasta in creme fraiche, lemon zest, and fresh parsley, which is finely chopped.
- Last, sprinkle black pepper and grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
The shiitake mushroom pasta is ready to serve. There are many twists that you can try with the shiitake mushroom pasta recipe. You can add ingredients like baby spinach and butternut squash and use vegan alternatives for creme fraiche.
7. Shiitake Mushroom Risotto
This is one of the unique shiitake mushroom recipes which you must try. To make the risotto, heat the olive oil on medium heat with the shallot till it turns brown. Add mushroom and butter, and cook them until the mushroom turns brown.
- The next step is to add the dried thyme, salt, black pepper, and garlic powder and let them cook well.
- It’s time to add rice and let it cook till it is coated well in the mix.
- The next step is to pour the wine and wait till it evaporates slowly.
- Add a cup of hot stock and cook until it is fully absorbed.
Keep adding the stock till the rice is fully cooked. You can top it with parmesan cheese, fresh parsley, kosher salt, and black pepper.
The Shiitake mushrooms are unique mushrooms with an amazing and intense taste. Their taste is richer than that of cremini mushrooms. You can enjoy shiitake mushrooms in many ways, as there are plenty of ways to prepare them.
There are various shiitake mushroom recipes that you can enjoy. You can devour the wonderful flavor of shiitake mushrooms in pizza, pasta, and shiitake bacon, or you can enjoy some plant-based options, too.