Christmas is one of the popular festivals around the world, and if you are searching for a place to visit during Christmas, then you can go to the Christmas market in Winchester.
The stunning views of the Winchester Christmas market attract visitors. It is also regarded as one of the best festive markets in England.
Here, in this context, we will provide a guide to the exciting and entertaining things you will enjoy at the Winchester Christmas market and much more.
1. A Guide to Christmas Market in Winchester
Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas market is set up every year during the time of Christmas. People from all around the globe come here to enjoy this beautiful city and the market.
1.1. The History of Winchesters Christmas Market
Every year, about half a million people all around the globe come to visit the Christmas markets. The New York Post also rewarded Winchester Christmas market as one of the top 8 Christmas markets around Europe.
All the traders across the country come here every year with some great quality products.
1.2. The Location of Winchester Christmas Market
The Winchester Cathedral Christmas market is located at the Inner Close.
When you visit the Cathedral Close, you will only see a few stalls at the front of Winchester Cathedral. As a new visitor, if you don’t know the town well, then you might think that it is an extra part of the market.
However, you will see a signboard that indicates the direction of the market. There, you will see a very large crowd, and if you keep following the crowd, you will pass the Curle’s Passage, which was named after Bishop Curle. The archway of Bishop Curle provides the walkers with a way towards the Inner Close.
Before reaching the place, you have to take a long walk through the cathedral. It is a very thin passageway, and it keeps getting crowded as time goes on.
So, to reach the place, you need to be patient and calm and have plenty of time in hand.
1.3. The Cost of Winchester Christmas Market
To enter the Winchester market, you don’t need to pay any extra fee or amount. You can also leave the market on your own time without any issues. But during busy times, lining up is necessary.
1.4. Various Foods and Drinks Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas Market
Plenty of foods and drinks are available in the Christmas market. Some stalls in the market also provide different kinds of festive foods and mulled wine.
Foods from various countries are available in the Christmas markets, such as bratwurst sausages from Germany, Raclette Cheese from France, mulled wine and much more.
However, you will not get any place to sit in the market and also no covered areas if it suddenly starts raining, in which case the only option is to go to the cathedral refectory.
1.4.1. Some Best Cafes in the Market Are –
- The Dispensary Kitchen: It is situated in the square.
- The Ivy Winchester Brasserie: It is situated in the middle of the High Street. It is a very beautifully decorated special during the festive season.
- The Winchester Orangery: It is another one of the best restaurants in the market. Maybe it is the most Instagram-able as well.
1.5. Shopping at The Christmas Market
All the retailers of the market are individually chosen by the Winchester Cathedral Christmas market team. All of them are handpicked high-quality exhibitors. Here, you will not get any adhesive Christmas gifts.
Every year, new stalls come into the market, and some also stay there for half of the occasion.
At the very beginning, when you visit the Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas market, you will find some very nice exhibitors along with the Pollyfields.
Pollyfields are those who made handcrafted wreaths and decorations for tables. The smell of their products is very beautiful.
Due to their outstanding products, Pollyfields was recently awarded best stand at the Country Homes & Interiors Magazine Fair.
Some other shopping products are different clothes and shawls. The Polish crockery stand is also a very good present for your loved ones.
1.5.1. The British Crafts Village
The British Crafts Village is also a very beautiful market offering. Here, you can find some unique gifts. You can easily find this place because a very large red sign is present at the front of the cloisters.
Besides this, some other retailers of glassmakers and textile artisans are also present there. They sell products together, like decorated Christmas trees, animal sculptures made of wood and pieces of jewellery.
1.6. The Nativity Scene of Winchester Christmas Market
After you complete your visit to the village British crafts, you will see a heartwarming nativity scene. The place will remind you of all the messages of the Christmas market.
This place was designed and decorated by the students of the local school, and it is also one of the popular places for photoshoots.
1.7. The Performance Stage of the Christmas Market
The performance stage of Ice Rink once again comes back. The stage of Ice Rink is free for musical performances, jazz groups, local choirs, city buskers and some other community bands.
1.8. Best Time to Visit Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas Market
The best time to visit the market is during the week of Christmas if it is possible for you. The market is getting very crowded during weekends.
If you can’t visit the market during the week, then get rid of the crowd and try to go in the morning on the weekend.
1.9. Different Events of the Christmas Market
You can enjoy some great events at Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas market. The different events are
- Light of Hope Installation
- Lantern Parade
- The Nutcracker and the Mouse King
- Special Christmas Rooftop Towers Tours
- Waynflete Singers with The London Mozart Players
- Christmas Choir Concert
- Star of Wonder Sound and Light show by Luxmuralis
- Children’s Christmas Craft Workshops
- Winchester Cathedral Carol Services
- Britten’s A Ceremony of Carols
- Christmas Floral Centerpiece Workshops
1.10. Top 5 Hotels to Stay at Winchester Christmas Market
Some stunning locations are present to stay at Winchester market. So the top 5 hotels where you can enjoy your tour by staying are
1.11. Other Things You Need to Know About Christmas Market
- You can go into the market with your pet dog. But you can’t take your dog during the weekends because the market is very busy at that time.
- We suggest you go to the market by public bus or any other public transport. You can also use the Park and Ride bus. Car parks are available there, but the parking lot is very busy during the time of the market.
- No toilets are available in the Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas market. But if you are a client of Cathedral Refectory, then public conveniences are available there. You will also get some toilets that have disabled access.
- A baby changing area is also there in the Cathedral’s Visitors Center, but you have to pay for that.
- Wheelchair access is available to the users of wheelchairs. Both the main parts of Winchester Cathedral’s Christmas market provide access for wheelchair users.
This is a complete guide to the Winchester Christmas market. It is one of the best places to visit during Christmas in Europe. There, you will get some amazing Christmas gifts as well as decorations.
In this festive environment, the market will provide you with some of the best moments and surely light up your spirit for the holiday.