If you want to know how to make peppercorn sauce, you are in the right place. There are no words to describe the taste of a simple peppercorn sauce recipe, which is mainly served with steak and is a trendy sauce for steak. The sauce is primarily famous in France. People love this creamy peppercorn sauce in France; they love to make or eat it with steak in restaurants and cafes or cook it at home.
You will find many recipes for peppercorn sauce, but the must-try recipe is vegan peppercorn sauce.
However, some people need clarification because they think the recipe is complicated and needs to be more accurate. Let’s go and find out a suitable and tasty peppercorn sauce recipe.
The peppercorn sauce recipe is much easier than it looks; in the following paragraphs, you will find about peppercorns and the ingredients required to prepare.
1. How to Make Peppercorn Sauce in These Easy Steps
1.1. Ingredients and Preparation
Suppose you ask someone about the ingredients of peppercorn sauce. In that case, they will state the acceptable standard components: peppercorn, butter, wine, brandy, shallots, garlic, cream, and seasonings. Still, these ingredients are sometimes different for everyone, so we have many recipes for peppercorn sauce.
One can make peppercorn sauce with green, white, pink, red, and black peppercorns. It all depends on what you choose. Most people use green peppercorns in place of black peppercorns.
Everyone has a different taste so they can prepare the sauce according to their taste and preference. Some people like the sauce thicker and creamier, and some like it without cream. The same goes for vegetarian or vegan people, who can remove all the meat and its related ingredients while indulging in the recipe. For different tastes, we have other recipes below.
2. Creamy peppercorn sauce
The above recipe video is one of the delicious recipes, and to make it more precise, you can find the recipe below with a detailed recipe method. So,
Let’s make the creamy peppercorn sauce for steak-
- Oil- 3 to 4 tbs
- butter- 50 gms
- Shallots- 2 to 3 finely chopped
- Brandy- 50 ml
- Peppercorn- 2 tablespoon
- Double cream or heavy cream- for richness, 1 cup
- Beef stock- 1 and 1/2 cup
- Steak- 1 medium size
- Salt- as per taste/seasoning
2.2. Method of Preparation
- In the initial step, take a small saucepan and some oil and right after adding the oil, put the chunky steak in the pan and cook it until it’s medium-rare, then set it aside.
- Put 50 gms of butter in the same pan on medium heat so that the steak’s juices can be combined with the sauce and enhance the sauce’s flavour.
- When the butter is melted, add on those chopped shallots and cook it for a few minutes till it’s soft.
- Put freshly crushed peppercorns, but do not crush them hard, just enough to have a bite. Then, add the crushed peppercorn to the pan and cook it for a minute.
- Now it’s time to add cream and beef stock and mix all the ingredients in the pan; now it’s time to add brandy, mix them with sauteed shallots and peppercorns, and stir it well. Boil rapidly until the sauce thickens.
- Next, you have to put the steak we cooked earlier on a plate, pour the delicious, creamy finished sauce, serve it with some vegetables like peas, green beans, and mashed potato and enjoy the easy peppercorn sauce recipe.
2.3. Peppercorn Sauce with Steak
The creamy peppercorn sauce becomes tastier with a perfectly cooked steak, but not everyone can eat steak; there are people with different tastes and diets, specifically vegetarians. Well, we have our vegetarian steak instead of meat steak.
Tofu and cotton cheese are some alternatives to meat steak. They can be served with creamy peppercorn sauce. Now vegetarians can also enjoy peppercorn sauce with their non-meat steak.
There are more ways to serve steak, and we have one dish that can make you crave it. To learn about the dish, check out how to cook fillet steak.
3. Vegan Peppercorn Sauce
Sometimes, it is hard to differentiate between vegan and the original peppercorn sauce because they look and taste the same. We have a vegan pepper sauce because a steak cannot control its love for peppercorn sauce. However, vegan people cannot eat steak; instead, they can eat tofu, cotton cheese, and mushrooms, which are suitable substitutes. Now, let’s find out the recipe for vegan peppercorn sauce.
- Butter- 40 to 50 gms
- Sunflower oil- 2 to 3 tbs
- Brandy- 50 ml
- Shallots- 2 or 3
- Peppercorn- 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable Stock- 1 cup
- Coconut milk- half cup Salt- as per taste
- Tofu/Cotton cheese- 200 gms
3.2. Method Of Preparation
- The first step is the same: take a frying pan and spread some sunflower oil on medium heat, then put the tofu in the pan and cook it from both sides to have a little crisp and golden colour.
- Now, for the main sauce, you need to put a small saucepan on the stove and add all pan juices from the pan you cooked tofu earlier, then drop the finely chopped shallots in the saucepan and cook it for some minutes.
- Later, you need to add the remaining ingredients, which are vegetable stock, coconut milk, and freshly crushed peppercorns, but make sure not to put whole peppercorns.
- Let them all cook on high heat for a minute or two and then on low heat and simmer until they become thick and creamy for serving.
- Put the piping hot sauce on the tofu and enjoy the delicious flavour of the sauce. Nutritional information is essential to know here.
- The creamy peppercorn sauce per serving contains 7.7g total carbs, 7.4g net carbs, 6g fat, 1g protein, and 88 calories.
4. Which recipe to Choose?
Tofu or steak, vegan or non-vegetarian, which recipe to choose? This question can make you doubt your skills because all these recipes for peppercorn sauce are mouth-watering and delicious. However, vegans only have a few choices to add beef or chicken stock, but they can still add brandy and flavour according to their taste.
Non-vegetarians have more recipes with vast ingredients to add, or less so, choosing a better peppercorn sauce recipe for themselves is customary to get perplexed. Many people like the peppercorn sauce without cream and like to add brand, so the choice is yours.
5. History of Peppercorns
The peppercorns originated thousands of years ago in South Asia and India. At that conventional time, people in India used peppers in cooking. Soon after peppers became famous and were traded worldwide, we also got pepper sauce for steak.
There was a time when black pepper was called ‘black gold’ because they were expensive and famous. Making peppers is done by drying the fruit produced by a specific flower.
If you look back now, you will realize that people back then used to cherish black peppercorns. There was a time when only wealthy and middle-class people could afford black peppercorns in their cooking, and those poor people could only look at them.
6. History of Peppercorn Sauce
The sauce was invented in 1930 by chef Albert Blazer in his restaurant, Albert, in the mid-19s. In the Magazine, he also reveals the creation and reason behind the invention of peppercorn sauce.
However, Albert was just one of many claiming the peppercorn sauce recipe. Many other chefs and people came forward to claim the recipe because everyone knew the sauce was a keeper. After the interview with Chef Albert, the peppercorn sauce became more famous. People started visiting his restaurants worldwide and trying the recipes at their homes.
7. The Popularity of Peppercorn Sauce
Other than in France, this creamy peppercorn sauce has gained popularity in countries worldwide. There are some reasons to define its popularity. Let’s talk about them one by one: –
- Easy recipe – One of the main reasons this sauce is famous is how easy the peppercorn sauce is. You don’t need much effort or 4 to 5 hours to prepare the sauce.
- Few ingredients – People may think this recipe is admired because it includes many elements, but that’s not true. Only some ingredients above are not expensive and readily available to cook an easy peppercorn sauce recipe.
- Very flexible – The word flexibility here means adding or subtracting only an ingredient according to taste and availability. Vegetarian people can remove shallots from the recipe, and people who eat meat can add beef or chicken stock to the recipe, even though one can use green peppercorns instead of black peppercorns.
- Sauce for steak – Believe it or not, the peppercorn sauce and steak are made in heaven to be together for the rest of their existence. It’s not like you can’t have peppercorn sauce with any other dish, but I cannot think of peppercorn sauce without a cooked, juicy steak.
- Peppercorn sauce without cream – As we know, not everyone has the same taste, and when it comes to creamy peppercorn sauce, some people like it without double cream, so they can remove the cream from the recipe and make it how they want it.
8. Packed peppercorn Sauce
The peppercorn sauce is tasty when cooked at home in your kitchen with all your love and effort, where you can add or remove ingredients as per your wish, but do you know that you can buy a packet of peppercorn sauce in a store?
Yes, one can buy packet sauce for steak from a store. A few packets of sauce are good, but you cannot have the great flavour of the home-cooked sauce.
There are tons of peppercorn sauces in the market with different ingredients and tastes. You will find a suitable sauce for your steak, but these packet sauces lack in some areas when it comes to home-cooked dressing because the packed sauce may contain some preservatives, anti-oxides, food colouring, and allergic substances that can harm you.
But it means that only some of the sauces in the store are suitable to eat. All you have to do is check the sauce container carefully before buying.
A perfectly cooked steak with creamy peppercorn sauce is everything for a perfect meal. From the history of peppercorn sauce to its ingredients and recipes, everything is a reminder of all the great dishes and sauces created by chefs and home cooks. It also reminds us that the world is full of great flavours, and people have opted for that flavour and ingredients to create yet innovate many recipes.
We hope this guide helps you in knowing how to make peppercorn sauce. Hopefully, you’ll be able to enjoy it with various dishes.