Vegan scones are spongy and fluffy dessert pastries that can be eaten as a delicious breakfast or even with afternoon tea.
The Vegan Scone Recipe is the easiest bread recipe that anyone can try at home, especially beginners in baking or cooking.
They are super flaky, puffy and incredibly tender, and luscious on the inside with a crisp exterior.
If you’re a vegan and are looking to enjoy delicious desserts and cakes without using non-veg items, then this is the recipe for you.
So, without further ado, let’s look into the pile of ingredients that are required to prepare these Vegan Scones.
1. Vegan Scone Recipe
It is recommended to keep all of the mentioned ingredients ready before you start making the Vegan Scones.
A few ingredients may be needed to add immediately, so it is always better to keep everything well-prepared.
1.1. Ingredients Required
- All-Purpose Flour or Self-Raising Flour – 400 g
- Baking Powder – 25 g or 4 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 g or 1/4 tsp
- Vanilla extract or Vanilla bean powder – 3 g or 1tsp
- Sugar ( Caster Sugar or Granulated Sugar ) – 65 g
- Coconut Oil – 90 g
- Plain Vegan Yogurt – 140 g
- Soy Milk – 100 g
- Apple Cider Vinegar – 9 g
- Maple Syrup
- Almond Milk or Oat Milk
- Coconut Cream
- Clotted Cream or Whipped Cream ( Recipe Given )
- Vegan Butter ( Optional )
- Vegan Cream Cheese
- Raspberry or Strawberry Jam ( any kind according to your preference )
1.2. Step-by-Step Vegan Scones Recipe
Take a fresh clean mug and add 140 g of Vegan Soy Yogurt and 100 g of Vegan milk or Soy milk.
Stir the ingredients well and make sure that both of them are at a cool temperature. It helps the mixture to blend easier if the liquids are cold.
Add the apple cider vinegar on top of it, and stir the mixture smoothly for the second time. Once it is smoothened, place the mug aside, and let’s start making the dough.
You can also use full-fat coconut milk or vegan milk instead of soy milk if you cannot find it in stores.
You can also use unsweetened soy milk. Use whichever suits your preference. Once you’re done, keep the buttermilk mixture aside.
Take a clean mixing bowl, now. Pour the mentioned amount of organic gluten-free flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and vanilla extract or bean powder.
Now mix all of them together, and give it a strong whisk.
Make sure to keep whisking the flour mixture until the texture becomes sandy. Once you whisk enough for a sufficient time, it will smell of sweet vanilla.
This confirms that you’re doing it right so far.
Instead of using all-purpose flour, you may use wheat pastry flour as well, in case you don’t have it stored for you.
Now, take a piece of coconut oil which should be frozen, preferably. Cold ingredients are crucial when it comes to the scone recipe.
Cut the frozen coconut oil into pieces with a knife, and make them into smaller cubes, since it will be easier for mixing later.
Make sure they become chunky and well-grounded after you cut them up.
Pour the oil into the mixture and gently blend everything together. Using fingers is the best option to do it gently and carefully.
Please be patient in mixing, because it may take time as the oil is frozen. But do not worry, the warmth of your fingers will slowly melt the oil, so keep going.
After 5-6 minutes, the mixture should be sandy but do not over-mix it to smoothen the oil clumps. It is better to keep the mixture in a powdery texture.
Once all the dry ingredients are blended, add the vinegar and soya milk mixture onto them.
You may use any spoon or a spatula to blend the mixture in this case. Keep mixing the ingredients properly until you get the structure of the dough.
Once the dough is coming up, use your fingers to knead the dough gently by pressing it down with your fingers.
The dough may turn hard and dry if you keep kneading too much, so avoid doing that. Just do it until it becomes a soft dough.
On a parchment sheet, sprinkle some flour and place the kneaded dough, now.
You may sprinkle some extra plain flour on top of and underneath the dough so that it does not become sticky dough.
Take your rolling pin and spread plain flour over it too. Now, start rolling out the dough gently. Fold it over in a half and roll it out once again.
We are making layers of the scones right now, so the more layers, the better and taller the scones will be.
Fold the dough into half again and roll it out. Repeat this fold and roll process 5-6 times.
Use spelt flour even if the dough gets sticky from time to time.
After repeating the folding process for plenty of time, make sure the dough is thick enough in width of 1 inch or more. That is the ideal thickness of any scones recipe.
Afterward, wrap the dough with that paper and refrigerate it for 10 more minutes.
After 10 minutes, take out the frozen dough and press down the wholemeal flour dough to keep it an inch thick or more. Once you are done, it’s time to cut out the scones.
Take a cookie cutter or a pastry cutter of any size of your preference, and press it down the thickness of the dough.
Do it with all of the dough and cut out small pieces of tall scones for the baking process.
Once you have them all, you can collect the scraps of the remaining flour and press them together to make another dough of the same thickness.
This process will prevent you from wasting the flour dough and use it completely. This will help you save the dough scraps, and you can make more scones as well.
This vegan scones recipe makes 10-12 scones. But it also depends on the size of the pastry cutter you’re using.
Once you’re done cutting out the scones, it’s time to line a baking tray with baking paper on top of it.
Place the fresh scones on the baking tray, and place each one of them closer to one other. This way, the scones will rise easily and faster.
Prior to baking, wrap the vegan scones in plastic wrap and store them in the freezer for 15 minutes.
Take out the scones from the refrigerator after 15 minutes. Preheat the oven before putting the scones to baking.
Meanwhile, lets egg wash the scones to give them a vibrant golden brown colour after baking.
To make an egg wash, without eggs, of course, you will need to prepare a little mixture. Mix 2 tbsp of almond milk or plant milk with 1 tsp of agave.
Mix that well and use a brush to paint the egg-wash mixture on the scones.
Make sure to do it gently on the tops of the scones, and then dust extra flour on the scones as well. Once you’re done with these, it’s time for the baking process.
Put the scones into the oven at 200 degrees Celsius, for 20-23 minutes. Check-in between the time gaps frequently and look if they have turned golden brown or not.
20 minutes is the ideal time limit for scones, but it vastly depends on your oven and the baking temperature.
After they are out of the oven, the delicious scones will look exquisite, with the outside crisp and the inside tender and soft.
Now the most essential part is the garnish. Without this, vegan scones cannot be fully enjoyed. Open the top of the scone and break it from the middle.
Apply a thick yummy layer of coconut cream, vegan whipped cream, or clotted cream in the middle. You may apply it as per your preferences.
Now for the last part, spread another thick layer of strawberry jam or raspberry jam on top of the creamy layer.
The jam and cream part completely depends on the kind of types you like, so feel free to experiment.
Now, your best scone recipe in a vegan version is all ready for you to try for yourself. Whether served with jam and cream, orange zest, lemon juice, or extra milk, it is a great recipe either way.
Now that we have finished preparing our wonderful recipe for fluffy scones, let’s get into the procedure of making homemade clotted cream.
1.3. Preparing Vegan Clotted Cream
Scone recipes are the easiest, to begin with if you’re into vegan baking.
Many people love having these best vegan scones with clotted cream, even though there is an availability of whipped cream or vegan cream.
So, the vegan clotted cream has become an important go-to for lovely delicious scones. So, let’s hop into the recipe for making your homemade clotted cream.
Take a heavy amount of coconut cream, vegan cheese cream, and confectioners or caster sugar. Combine everything and blend it in a bowl.
Put the bowl in a standing mixer or a food processor, and let the ingredients beat steadily for a sufficient amount of time until the cream gets thickened up.
Let it beat till it gets smooth and fluffy like the perfect vegan clotted cream.
Yes! Clotted cream is easy and simple to make. Whether it is for vegan scones or any other bread recipe, clotted cream is an ideal yummy garnish for anything. So, feel free to add to any recipe.
2. Extra Tips for the Vegan Scones Recipe
- When it comes to kneading the dough of the vegan scones with coconut oil, you can also use vegan butter or margarine (dairy free) as another alternative. Since the recipe is vegan, and you do not want to add any hint of non-veg concept, it is recommended to use vegan butter instead of normal salt butter.
- Many of the best vegan scones recipes use cream of tartar as a great and stable addition to the flour preparation of the dough. We highly recommend a small amount of cream of tartar when making the dough. It adds an elegant flavour and stable flour mix for the baking time. However, if you do not have the cream of tartar at hand, a good replacement. It would be to double the amount of baking powder while adding them to the flour mixture.
- There is another alternative for making a potential egg wash for the golden brown colour of the vegan scones. Instead of using milk and agave, you can prepare a mix of maple syrup, plain cream, or vegan whipped cream and soy milk. There are other ways to prepare egg wash as well, but these two methods are the most recommended and the easiest out there.
- The buttermilk mixture at the beginning may be made by using different ingredients as well. If you do not have soy milk or vinegar, it’s best to use just almond milk and agave for that part.
- When it comes to the flavour of the vegan scones, we added vanilla extract to the flour mix. But you can add any different flavour according to your preferences. Best flavours or scents may include Blueberry, Cinnamon, Dried Fruits, or Chocolate.
- During the baking stage, make sure to preheat the oven beforehand putting the vegan scones for baking. The prevailing heat will warm up and raise the puffs of the vegan scones faster and better.
- Vegan Scones can be eaten in one’s own style. You can spread the jam and cream on tops of the scones, instead of spreading them in the middle of the vegan scones. It is delicious either way, whether on top or in the middle.
- When placing the vegan scones on the baking sheet, make sure the surface remains lightly floured, otherwise, the scones may stick to the surface of the sheet.
3. Mistakes to Avoid While Making Vegan Scones
- Never overmix the dough. Many people end up kneading the self-raising flour dough way too much than expected. This leads to the hardening of the dough as well as drying itself up. It is natural for your dough to have clumps in it, but let it be. There’s no need of softening or blending it more. The clumsy dough is what is needed for vegan scones.
- The majority of the components, if not all of them, must be cooled or frozen before use. Since the ingredients are chilling, it takes more time to melt. For this, the resultant scones are extra crispy and flaky on their layers.
- After taking out the scones from the oven, do not apply the garnish immediately. Let the crispy scones sit and cool down for a few minutes, then serve with jam and the vegan cream of your choice.
- Do not bake them beforehand if you’ll enjoy the scones later. Make sure you bake them just before you’re about to indulge in them. Making them wait will lead to dryness and the crispy flaky texture would be gone sooner than you know. If you prefer, you can keep them frozen in the refrigerator for as long as you want, it won’t hurt them.
- Using all-purpose flour is the best option since it will keep your flaky scones lighter than any other flour quality. Since different flours have different amounts of nutrients and proteins in them. So, other flours may make your scones heavier.
- Never skip the dough-freezing part. The ingredients inside the dough must remain cold and frozen until it is placed in the baking oven. During the baking time, the vegan butter or coconut oil will melt, and the inside of the scones will become luscious and creamy, for your first bites.
4. FAQs About Vegan Scones Recipe
4.1. Why Use Soy Milk Instead of Cow Milk?
Since cow milk is high in saturated fat and cholesterol, Soy milk acts as lighter milk in the recipe of Vegan Scones.
Soy Milk is just the same healthy version of cow milk with lower fat and cholesterol. It has added nutrients like Vitamins and Calcium, which are beneficial for your health, just like Plant Milk too.
It also has anti-oxidant features with anti-inflammation properties, which is especially great for your heart’s health. Therefore, it is an excellent alternative to cow’s milk.
4.2. Is Baking Powder Gluten-Free and Vegan?
Yes! Baking powder is absolutely Gluten free as well as Vegan. Even though most baking powder brands are gluten-free, there are a few brands that have gluten ingredients in the baking powder.
Here are some of the Gluten-free baking powder brands: Bob’s Red Mill, Rumford, Argo, and Clabber Girl.
These branded baking powders are also vegan since there are no added ingredients that are non-veg or contain any animal-derived substances.
4.3. Is Vegan Butter Healthy?
Unfortunately, no. Vegan butter is not as healthy as normal salted butter. However, we use it as a substitute for normal butter since it is dairy free and vegan.
There is more plant-based butter that is healthier. Compared to normal butter or vegan butter, they have reduced fat and cholesterol levels.
It’s best to use Coconut oil, Olive oil, or Plant-based butter instead of Vegan butter if you’re making dairy-free recipes.
4.4. Are Vegan Scones Actually Vegan?
Yes! The recipe for scones is absolutely vegan. As you can tell, we have used each and every vegetarian ingredient throughout our scones recipe.
Even though once you taste them, they will surely taste creamy with an egg-like consistency, however, this is the catch.
They may taste delicious and creamy like any other egg-filled cakes or pastries out there, but actually, they are totally vegan.
Now, you may use dairy products like regular cow milk or normal salted butter, if you want to experiment with these scones to make them non-veg. They both will taste yummy either way.
4.5. How Long do Scones Last?
Although it is always best to have your scones immediately right after you bake them, there are a few ways to store them.
When you eat them right after baking, they are warm and super flaky with endless taste. However, if you’re willing to store them due to any sudden case, read ahead.
If you’ve used fresh ingredients, then your scones will easily stay alright for up to 2 days almost. You may put them in a Tupperware or an airtight container.
It highly depends on the type of flour you used. Store the scones at room temperature or in the freezer, as you prefer.
But, if you’ve already topped the scones with jam and vegan cream, then store them only in the freezer or refrigerator. Otherwise, the cream and jam will taste sour.
4.6. How to Re-Heat the Scones?
If your scones are not topped with cream, jam, or any kind of icing, then feel free to proceed. Don’t eat them right away. Let them drop down at normal temperature, by keeping them out for more than half an hour.
You can enjoy them after they have come at normal temperature. If you want to heat them up, microwaves are definitely not a good option, so please avoid heating them in a microwave.
If you heat in a microwave, make sure 30 seconds is enough for heat scones. If overheated, the scones will turn soggy and the crispiness will vanish.
Put them on the baking tray and put them in the oven at 300-350 Fahrenheit for at least 5-6 minutes. You can also use a bread toaster for heating the scones in halves. Use whichever is convenient for you.
Finally, we have successfully completed our journey of making delicious and elegant little scones. Let us know how your scones turned out once you try this recipe.
Vegan scones are one of the easiest bread recipes to try as a beginner in vegan baking. Since it does not require complex ingredients like yeast and takes little time to preparative, the Vegan Scone Recipe is a great way to start off.
Feel free to experiment and add various flavours according to your preferences and prepare your own signature scones.
Thank you so much for staying with us and we wish you all the best for your trip to vegan baking.